Tuesday, May 4, 2010

DETROIT, MICHIGAN

Detroit would not have been my pick of places to visit. However, sometimes you are on the losing end of a coin toss! I am actually glad I went. The weather was beautiful and Detroit is filled with alot of interesting history. Some parts are nicer than others, but all-in-all it was a cool town.

In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayed
In the Maritime Sailors' Cathedral
The church bell chimed, 'til it rang 29 times
For each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald

The name of the Church is actually the Mariners' Church of Detroit.
It has been designated a national historical site with its 160 year-old
building. The building has magnificent stained glass
and is a big part of the history of Detroit.

(Click on photos to enlarge.)

MOTOWN MUSEUM
Detroit has a lot of beautiful buildings
And, some are not so beautiful I thought this was a very pretty little Church
Of course, there are a lot of historic sites with
regard to the automobile industry

The bridge over to Canada
Canada across the water
I stopped for a bit and walked around Greektown

I had an amazing lunch at this Greek restaurant
I liked that Rosa Parks had a street named after her!
I have never seen a black squirrel before (I have
seen brown ones and a white one). Either this
is a black squirrel, or maybe just a big black rat!
Beautiful flowers all over the city!
As I drove around, I saw a lot of very cute little houses.
I loved the beautiful tree in this front yard
And, of course I loved the movie 8 Mile so I had to
drive down 8 Mile Road
Supposedly, this house is one that Academy Award
winner Eminem grew up in. It was very near 8 Mile Road
Some of the houses could definitely stand to be
on an episode of Extreme Home Makover!


This one would be fine with a coat of paint and a few flowers!
The glow of the sunset on the trees over
Northern Michigan




My day started out with a quick drive down on Main Street through downtown Ann Arbor, Michigan (Bob Seeger lived in Ann Arbor and the Main Street there is the inspiration for his song Main Street).  This was a quaint, charming town.  Unfortunately, I only drove through and didn't get to spend a lot of time there.