Thursday, May 6, 2010

MACKINAC BRIDGE (Mackinaw City, Michigan)

While watching the History Channel one night, they were doing a documentary on the Mackinac Bridge in northern Michigan.  I was enchanted by the building of this masterpiece and decided one day I would have to go see it.  Well, here I am.  If nothing else, I am persistent when I want to see something!

The Mackinac Bridge is an awesome sight! It is the longest suspension bridge in the western hemisphere (and the third longest in the world). Construction on the bridge began in May of 1954 and the 5-mile bridge opened to traffic on November 1, 1957, despite the many hazards of marine construction over the turbulent Straits of Mackinac.

Bob Seeger mentions Mackinaw City in one of his most famous
songs - it was only fitting to play it while crossing the Bridge.

(Click on photos to enlarge.)

This is the Lake Huron side
 



Rare human sighting!


This is the Lake Michigan side



A statue honoring the 4 men who died building the bridge



Driving across the bridge




The view from my hotel room as the
sun starts to set (definitely not a bad view!)